And then there were three.
Ben really impressed me in our training. We ran on a 1/2 mile track, and we added distance every time we trained - trying to run more and walk less each time. Ben got to where he could run all six laps well before me. For our last training run, we ran the actual race route, which is around the park where our office is. There is a steep hill at the start, then it's level street running for a couple of miles, then we move to a greenway (paved path off-road) which is a very steady incline. It's a hard course, especially for beginners. The night we ran it pre-race, it was 80 degrees. I thought I might die. But I ran the entire route. I was really jacked for the race.
Here we are on race morning:
Aren't the shirts cool?
We didn't want to tote a camera around, so we didn't get any actual race pictures. If any get posted by the sponsors, I'll re-post.
We had awesome weather. Lots of our friends were there. The mood was upbeat. Lots of encouragement on all fronts.
And we did it! Ben ran the whole race and finished in 25 minutes on the nose. He finished in sixth place for his age group and 81st overall (out of a total 316)!! I was so proud of him!
I finished in 27:02 and I ran the entire race - no walking! But I wanted to quit so badly. I think I felt worse during the race than on the 80-degree training run. Maybe I didn't eat enough breakfast or needed more water, but I struggled. I didn't quit though! I was 128th overall, so I finished in the top half. I was pleased.
Mark finished in 31:08, 214th overall. He was worried he would be dead last, but there were 102 people still behind him! I think he was pleased with himself as well - he didn't get injured, and he made a good showing. He ran more than he walked, and ran more than he had in any of our training runs, I think.
I was the one who didn't feel so great afterward - I think my BP must have dropped because right after I stopped running and stood around for a few minutes, I got really light-headed. I got water and oranges, and sat down for while. I finally walked it off on the way to the car and felt fine after.
There is another race coming up in June, and Ben has already committed to running it. I have volunteered to help with it, so I will be behind-the-scenes for that one (I hope I get to be on the course and direct the runners or call out times or something - I think that would be fun.) Not sure about Mark and Daniel at this point.
Ben has really enjoyed himself. He plans to go out for cross country next year. Who knew this would be a new hobby for him? And a new hobby that gets him outside and active. Good times. Very, very good times.

No comments:
Post a Comment