Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What's for Dinner?

Necessity is the mother of invention. That, and an unnatural fear of bad shrimp.

So, a month or so back, I thawed some shrimp for a meal I had planned. As is so often the norm, the day spun out of control and my planned dinner got put on hold. But somehow, the side items all got eaten. The next day, I was left with thawed shrimp and no plan. I improvised. I was feeling an Asian vibe that night. And thus was born Mom's Amazing Asian Rice Bowl. Healthy, fast, and delicious: the dinnertime tri fecta.

First things first: cook some brown rice. About 4 servings worth. It takes a while to cook brown rice, but it's very hands off, so I don't count it as actual time. Use a rice cooker or go stove top - whatever works for you. Should take about 45 minutes.

While the rice cooks, dice a half a medium onion and one garlic clove. Saute them in a tablespoon or so of sesame oil for about ten minutes. Add a pound of shrimp, some soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar. Just splash some in there, "to taste" as they say. Saute for 4-5 minutes.

Also, steam some broccoli (lots going on at the same time, but trust me, it's easy.) You can do one of those stove top things, but it's really easy in the microwave. Just chop off a head full of florets and put them in a microwave dish. Add a tablespoon or two or water and a sprinkle of salt. Cover with one corner up and nuke on high for 3 minutes.

Adjust your timetable so the shrimp, rice, and broccoli are done at the same time. Then mix them all up in a big ole bowl. Enjoy!

I've made it twice now and I think it rocks. Mark likes it too. Haven't sprung it on the boys yet.

No comments: