Swapping Lives, by Jane Green.Although, I'm somewhat ashamed to admit it. Jane Green is my favorite "fluff" writer. She writes chick-lit, and her books are easy to read, entertaining, but not the the least bit substantial. But sometimes that is exactly what you need. I remember my advisor at PC, Dr. Prater, telling my Literary Criticism class that not everyone wrote earth-shattering books that brimmed over with literary genius, and that everyone needed a light read every now and then. His favorite indulgence was to read an Agatha Christie novel at the end of every semester.
And since I've been in quite a bit of a reading rut here lately, I thought something light might just do the trick. I had a $30 credit at Mr K's and decided to cash it in. I actually found two of Jane Green's books that I haven't read, as well as some "heavier" fiction, so hopefully I'll be back in the reading swing sooner rather than later.
So far, Swapping Lives gives us two heroines: Vicky is a big-shot editor at a London magazine who wants to settle down with a husband and kids, but has been a swinging single for so long that she thinks she might have missed her chance; Amber is a Connecticut stay-at-home mom who is obsessed with keeping up with the Joneses and spends money hand-over-fist to do so. I have a hunch (something in the title seems to imply, at least) that these women will get a taste of each other's lives and ultimately decide they are truly happy after all. Or something like that.
I have guiltily enjoyed all the other Jane Green books I have read - Jemima J, Mr. Maybe, Bookends, Babyville -so this one should be no exception. It's good to have a favorite fallback writer for those times when you want to read something, but you don't want to really read something, if you follow me. These books practically read themselves!

1 comment:
Ashamed? Really? Nonsense! There is nothing more entertaining or refreshing then a good light read! You would be mortified if I told you what I have been reading lately! I've never been a huge Jane Green fan. I read Beach House last year (at the beach!) and was not pleased. On your good referral, however I may give her another chance! Hope all is well with you!
Post a Comment