I soaked one pound of black beans overnight. The next morning, I put the beans, 4 cups of chicken stock, 1 cup of water, 3 bay leaves, 1 tablespoon of cumin, 1/2 teaspoon chili flake, 1 chopped medium onion, and some salt and pepper in the crock pot. I set it to low for 10 hours.
Right before serving, I removed the bay leaves and added the juice of one lime. I served it with chopped cilantro and a dollop of sour cream. It was awesome! Really, really good.
On Friday night, we got home late. It was cold, and we wanted something hot to eat. I had some shredded chicken in the fridge, so I went to my go-to speedy soup recipe: Chicken Tortilla. I got the recipe from a cookbook called Desperation Dinners that Mom got me many years ago. It's one of Mark's favorites, and really easy to make.
Saute some chicken, onions, and garlic in olive oil. (I used already-cooked chicken, but usually I make it with raw chicken - cook it until the chicken is done. If you use already-cooked chicken, just cook it until the onions are soft.) Add 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, and the juice of one lime. Then add 2 cans (14 oz) of chicken stock and 1 cup of salsa. Bring to a boil and let simmer until you're ready to eat. The longer it simmers the better.
Serve it with Monterrey jack cheese and tortilla chips. I like to crumble the chips into the soup, but Mark is a dip man. Either way, it's some good soup.
Did I mention that I really love soup?

1 comment:
Cool beans! Do you have any good, milder soup recipes that don't lead to indegestion or gas?
Post a Comment