Thursday, March 27, 2008

What I'm Reading Now

Julie and Julia, by Julie Powell. It began as a blog, then became a novel, and will soon be a major motion picture. The concept: a wacky New Yorker attempts to cook everything in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. In one year. In a small New York apartment kitchen.

I was really pumped about this book, because I was really pumped about Mastering the Art of French Cooking, after being really pumped about the Julia Child memoir. So far, I've been rather disappointed. The book is more about the author's personal angst, and the cooking so far is only mentioned here and there - it certainly isn't the focus. I'm OK with angst, but it's difficult to sympathize with the author because she really isn't all that likeable. She uses lots of profanity, and is frankly rather vulgar. I might not stick with this one.

No comments: