The boys have been dying to see Hancock. I, myself, have not. So the four of us went to the movies today, the menfolk saw Hancock, and I saw Mamma Mia.
I'm sure Daniel will give his review of Hancock on his blog in a day or so. Mark's only comment was that it had excessive profanity. Not exactly two enthusiastic thumb's up.
Mamma Mia was good. Movie musicals are never as good as the live show, and this was no exception. It lacked the fun and energy I remember from the show. But the setting was awesome, and it was well cast. Meryl Streep was good, but she was AMAZING in two scenes. The first was Slipping Through My Fingers, a song which never fails to make me cry - it was very well done in the movie. Better than I remember it done in the show, in fact. And The Winner Takes It All - wow. She made the movie with that one scene. I know she's Meryl Streep and all, but I was still blown away.
Pierce Brosnan, by contrast, was awful. Horrific even. I don't see any more musicals in his future.
The music didn't play out just like the show - they left out a few of my faves - Knowing Me, Knowing You was one. (Of course, Pierce Brosnan would have had to do that one, so maybe they just thought better of it.) Under Attack and One of Us were missing as well. It ended with When All Is Said and Done, which was not in the show, but worked well I thought.
So maybe not two thumb's up for the whole movie, but definitely two thumb's up for Meryl. And apparently better then Hancock.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I give Mama Mia one finger up (and it's NOT my thumb.) It was beyond terrible for me. The scenery WAS spectacular and made me want to go to Greece. Once there I would hunt down all the elderly actors/actresses from the movie and remove their vocal chords.
i think it was better when it played out of the closets of new dorm one.
Post a Comment