Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wide World of Sports

It's beginning to look a lot like a really busy fall....

Ben is playing Fall Baseball for the first time ever. I was against it, just for the hectic factor, but I was voted down. And I have to say, I've been pleasantly surprised. One of his assistant coaches was his first instructional league coach a few years back, and we love him. It's been very laid back, and Ben is actually getting more individual attention than he does during the regular season. I'm really liking the program, and Ben is juggling his schedule pretty well.

Daniel has just started playing soccer. He is "playing up" this year, which means he plays with kids one age level above him. We were against this at first - his coach (Coach T) from last year made the offer, and we turned it down because we thought he wouldn't get as much playing time, being the youngest and the smallest on the team. So we signed him up for the 8-9 year olds. And we never got a call from a coach. Other teams were practicing, ordering jerseys, and in general getting ready for the season to start, but on our end, nothing. So I call Parks and Rec, and find out who the coach is and get his number. When I call him, I get his mother-in-law, as the coach is actually in Hawaii. After several conversations with the mother-in-law, we determine that Daniel is not on this guy's roster, even though my new best friend at Parks and Rec says he is. Meanwhile, a good friend of ours whose kid is NOT on this guy's team, keeps getting calls from him (from Hawaii, apparently) about practices, games, etc. After three days of this insanity, I call our friend Coach T and say "look, I don't get a good feeling about this new coach, and I really don't like his mother-in-law, is it too late to change our minds and get DP on your team?" Turns, out, he only has one sixth grader on the team - all the other players played on D's team last year, and he only has eleven players on the roster, which means he has no subs and really needs more players. So D will be getting tons of playing time. And Coach T is the bomb. The BOMB. D absolutely loves playing for him. (He says D is his "X Factor".) Suffice it to say, D is "playing up" and we couldn't be happier.

D's first game is Tuesday night, and Ben's is Saturday the 6th. We can hardly wait!!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

In reference to your poll (speaking of sports). . . football - how can you choose between college and pro? And thank God we don't have to in this house. The Wolfpack typically plays on Saturdays (except for tonight) and the Panthers play on Sundays. No choice needed.

Christine is playing soccer this fall and LOVES practice so far (she's six, so this is really her first REAL try). Meredith is trying to get into a dance class, if the lady will ever call back. Soccer wasn't her thing. Theatre is her thing . . . God help us!