I baked my world famous chocolate chip cookies tonight, using my homemade vanilla extract. I have some observations:
1. When I opened the jar, the wonderful vanilla aroma I remember from yesterday had lessened, and it had developed a much stronger alcohol smell. Which is odd, because I thought vodka didn't have an odor. Hmmmm. It did still smell like vanilla, just not as much. Maybe I should have strained out the bean, but left the pod.
2. The guys tasted the dough, and said it tasted different. In a good way.
3. And then there was the finished product. I think I tasted a difference, but it may have just been because I was looking for a difference. Mark tasted a difference, and gave it two thumbs up.
So what is my conclusion? Since I usually use a high quality vanilla, I have, at the very least, made homemade vanilla extract that is as good as a high quality store bought variety, and likely better than an average store bought variety. Not bad for my first try.
Will I make it again? Not any time soon, as I have plenty left. And I have plenty of the spice house's vanilla on hand as well. But there is something to be said for simply knowing that I can do it, if I decide to. I really just like experimenting with things most people assume have to be bought and can't be made at home.
And now I have something new to talk about at cocktail parties when the conversation drags. If only I went to cocktail parties...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
If you DO go to a cocktail party, I think you should sip homemade vanilla extract from a jar (with a wedge of lemon) as your signature cocktail.
Post a Comment