Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Joy of Cooking

I read this article on cnn.com this morning, a kind of "Behind the Music" on The Joy of Cooking cookbook. Really interesting. I, of course, have The Joy of Cooking (most cooks do) and it has always been a first-stop when I want to learn to cook something I've never attempted. The back story was new to me, but very interesting.

I remember being a newly-married and pulling this book out to learn how to make mashed potatoes for Mark. I'm sure they sucked, but it wasn't the book's fault.

When I finally learned to cook, the pineapple upside down cake was one of my first big successes. Mark loves a pineapple upside down cake, and the recipe from this book is awesome. AWESOME. After so many years of marriage, I had finally wowed my hubs in the kitchen.

After reading the article, I pulled my copy to see if I could determine what edition I have. The last copyright listed is 1964, but I don't see an official "edition" in the book anywhere.

What I did see was this note, hand-written in the front cover: "To Charlotte, Christmas 1993 - Best Wishes for good cooking. Love, Grandma Parker."

I can remember her telling me that she knew she wanted to get me this cookbook (every kitchen has to have one, you know), but she was most surprised at all the versions she had to choose from: hardback, paperback, large, small......she finally went with the mid-sized paperback with the spiral binding ("because it could most easily be laid open on the counter.")

And so I am reminded today of why I love to cook. Real cooking has so little to do with food and eating, and so much to do with the people we love.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

is that Roy?

Charlotte said...

Other side.

Kelly said...

I had no idea. I also have JOY OF COOKING from Grandma. But it's a small paperback version. . . she must have splurged on you that particular time! It bring a tear to my eye . . .