Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Great Vanilla Extract Experiment: Part 2

Guess what today is??

If you guessed "Day Seven of the Great Vanilla Extract Experiment", you would be correct! Sit down - there are no prizes.

On the left is the "marinating" vanilla bean and vodka. On the right is a clean jar, and a mesh strainer fitted with a coffee filter. And now, we strain.



Finished product. It looks a little more like a urine sample than culinary gold, but looks can be deceiving.


All I can say for now is, it smells AWESOME. Really, really nice vanilla aroma. It tastes, well, I'm not really sure how it tastes. I don't go around drinking vanilla right out of the bottle so it's hard to compare. I think it has a strong alcohol taste, but extracts usually do have a strong alcohol taste. The real proof will be in the baking. I plan to bake my world famous chocolate chip cookies tomorrow and use the homemade vanilla. Stay tuned....

1 comment:

Alan said...

C, I prefer my extract over ice with a small wedge of lemon. Preferably sitting by the fire.