Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I am thankful for so many things, but today, I am especially thankful for health and fitness.

Last year at this same time, I posted that the four of us participated in the annual Turkey Trot - we started our day walking a 5K, and I wondered if possibly, POSSIBLY, we might actually run the race next year.

Well, next year is this year. And guess what?

Yep, here we all are, post-race. We all ran the whole 3.1 miles. Daniel and I even set personal records. We all wore festive hats, except for Ben who left his in the car so that it "wouldn't slow his pace" or some such. (Hey Ben, those of us what wore hats set PR's. Just sayin'.)

This is the lovely Mrs. Showtime. Showtime wore a roasted turkey hat, so they made a cute couple. Mrs. Showtime is usually the one taking the pictures, so it was a nice change for her to be in one finally.
Here we all are at the start line. Ben is front and center. Red shirt, #750. The rest of us are further back. There were about 3000 people total. It was a heck of a party.
Finally, here's a close-up of Ben at the start line, getting his game face on. We give him lots of grief, but I am so excited that he has taken to running so enthusiastically.

And I am so excited that in the course of one year, all four of us went from walking, to running a little, to running a lot. It has been so much fun to get healthy together.

Lots of cities host Thanksgiving Day fun runs. I can't begin to tell you how much fun it is, and I encourage you and yours to sign up for one next year if you don't participate already. It really is a great way to start a day that otherwise would be completely indulgent. Burn the calories to earn the calories!

Hope everyone had a great day no matter what you did. Let the holiday season begin!

1 comment:

The Nicholsons said...

Not only did I not run or walk, I didn't even COOK on Thanksgiving. Turkey hats off to you and family!