Friday, July 4, 2008

Mom and Dad's Movie Marathon

OK, so it wasn't really a marathon. But Mark and I did take advantage of our week without kids to check out a couple of movies that we've been wanting to see.

I had a hunch I wouldn't like this one, but I was pleasantly surprised. Movies set in a future where all has gone to seed don't do much for me. This one was blissfully short (it told a good story, but didn't drag it out) and wasn't as far into the future as I anticipated. The New York City scenes were cool as well. After watching, I read a fews things about the movie that made me realize I missed an entire (and important) piece of the story. Oh well. It was still good.


This one, I knew nothing about going in. I knew there had been some buzz, but I couldn't remember what the buzz was. I'm glad I went in cold. This was a really, really good movie. Very unusual. Very disturbing and creepy. But very good. Also short, but not one that needed to be any longer. I won't say anything else about it, in case you haven't watched and don't know anything about it either. I enjoyed the NYC scenes in this one as well. A lot of the action took place at Columbus Circle, which is where we grabbed the subway when we were there. There is also a scene where the statue of liberty becomes seperated from her head, as you can see from the image above, and the head is found laying on the ground and people stand around and gawk at it. If you recall from our vacation photos, Daniel stood under the left nostril of a full-sized replica of the statue, and I'm watching this scene thinking "I don't think the statue's head is that big - you could fit several Daniels under that nostril." Turns out I was right - they enlarged the head for dramatic effect. Travel is so broadening....

2 comments:

Kyle said...

I really liked I Am Legend. The movie ended a bit happier than the story or the first two movies. I watch the Vincent Price version about every 3-4 months. I don't have the Chuck Heston version which probably has a lot to do with why I don't watch it so much.
I LOVED Cloverfield. I wish Godzilla with that Broderick guy had beed as good, and with as happy an ending.
Did you see the monster crash into the ocean in the end??????

Charlotte said...

We did, but only after we read about it on IMDB and watched the end again.

I read that they are kicking around two concepts for a sequel - one that builds on a back-story they developed for the monster, and one that takes some other guy's footage (maybe the guy filming on the bridge) and shows the same story from another perspective.

It reminded me of Blair Witch quite a bit, although I did not find myself asking "Did this really happen?"