Paul recently posted a picture of Sam, obviously about to face-plant. I posted a comment asking if anyone remembered "A-D-Piiiiiiii!" and no one has responded as of yet. This tells me that either a)no one remembers this or b)one or more of you remember this but are unable to comment because you are trapped under something heavy. Either way, I thought I would share this, my fondest memory of the ADPi Sorority.
When I was a sophomore at PC, we added these things they call sororities. We'd had fraternities all along, just no sisterhoods. We brought on Zeta Tau Alpha, Sigma Sigma Sigma, and Alpha Delta Pi. Since there were no existing sisters on campus to do rush week and pledges and blackballing and the like, sorority sisters from neighboring schools came in and handled the whole thing in one weekend.
The deal was this: if you were drafted into any one of the three sororities, you got your pledge letter (or whatever they called it) at Douglas house. You then ran gleefully to one of three locales to meet your new sisters. Alpha Delta Pi girls ran gleefully from Douglas House to Neville Hall.
The night all of this went down, I was sitting outside of Smythe Dorm with several folks. Laura was there, and I'm pretty sure Paul and George were there, and maybe Hoyt and Neek. There was a good sized group of us, I remember that much. Laura and I had opted out of the sorority thing, and none of the guys had pledged, of course. We were just watching all the goings on. All would be quiet, then a pack of girls would rush out, often holding hands, squealing their new Greek monikers, and rushing off into the night. Then quiet. Then more fun and gaiety. This went on and on and on.
Finally, three girls come out of Douglas House and sprint with great joy and zeal to Neville Hall. Picture them - big bows in their hair, big flouncy dresses, all pictures of girlish perfection. They were yelling "A-D-Pi! A-D-Pi!" About halfway through the cross-walk, the girl bringing up the rear wipes out. Toes go up in the air, arms flailing, and she's completely parallel to the ground. I'm certain she saw her own loafers before landing flat on her back on the asphalt. "A-D-Pi! A-D-Pi! A-D-Piiiiiiiiiiiii...." WHACK!
I laughed at that poor nameless sorority girl till I thought I would die. Few things in life amuse me more than someone wiping out. Hard pavement, nice clothing, and the presence of on-lookers only make it funnier.
I'm happy to say her new sisters came back and collected her, bruised and bleeding, and slowed down their happy gait so she could limp along with them. I don't think any of them had the uncouth to laugh in her face. Ah, sisterhood. I knew sororities weren't my thing...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Ahhh! That's funny. I was probably there, as you said, but sadly I do not remember it. However, with your brilliant retelling I can visualize the whole thing.
I'm disappointed to admit that many hilarious college stories have leaked out of my memory. Occasionally, Paul or Mike will be telling me some funny one and I ask who they're talking about and they tell me it was me. And I hove no recollection at all. I hate that!
So, tell more. Be my memory!
I'm pretty sure you were there. I seem to recall you walking around with a tree limb. Not sure what that was about, but there you have it.
Okay, when you said "A-D-Pi" I was thinking "does she mean the sorority?" but I was certain that you would never partake of such a social club (at least I think it would be completely out of character for you). Cute story. As an alum of Meredith, we also did not have sororities (some say Meredith IS a sorority). So I can laugh along with you. Thanks for sharing.
How were you and Paul raised?!?
I've watched Paul sit and watch America's Funniest Home Videos and the closer to death or serious injury a person gets the harder he laughs.
We watched Faces of Death Vol. 4 one night and he wheezed until he puked.
Post a Comment