Lots of angst here - starving artist angst, herion angst, HIV angst, gay angst. Not the kind of angst I can really relate to. (I relate to working-mom angst, soccer practice angst, who's-putting-up-the-laundry angst. Granted, not as edgy.) But while I didn't really relate all that well to the story, I did really groove on the music. Lots of songs I've been singing in my head all day after hearing just one time. "Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes...." ....... "How we gonna pay-ayyy...how we gonna pay-ayyyy...."
Loved this book. And the movie was true to the book, only they crammed it into too hours. Made it seem very rushed. I would have preferred tacking on another half hour to really tell the story right. It was extremely well-cast, and the costumes were great.
John Travolta is not an attractive man, and he's REALLY not an attractive woman. And his accent drove me NUTS for the entire movie. But everyone else was great - I've become quite the fan of Queen Latifah. She was great in Chicago and in Stranger Than Fiction (in a very understated role). And she was great in this.
Laugh-out-loud funny at times, bordering on stupid at others. Would definitely be a better live show.
Wow. Much like a Jane Austen novel, only without the happy ending. I really enjoyed this one. The woman who plays Molly Weasley in the Harry Potter movies played Jane Austen's mother, and was SUPERB. I'll have to do some research to see how much of this is based on history and how much is movie magic. But definitely a good one.
So, no real duds in my movie marathon. Mark and I will likely watch some more movies when he gets back tomorrow, so I'll try to post on those as well. But don't expect more musicals or period pieces. Not Mark's thing. Probably some sci-fi and things blowing up. Everything has its place.

2 comments:
That's exactly what I do when the hub and kid are gone... watch movies till I fall asleep drooling on the couch. Good times. Hope you indulged in the perfect movie snacks as well. Mine would be ice cream.
I popped in Rent when I went into labor with Shaw. My own kind of angst I guess. Never did see the end.
Post a Comment