Change of Heart, by Jodi Picoult.I'm just over half-way through this, and I still don't know what I think about it.
On the one hand, it's the story of a man convicted of murdering a young girl and her stepfather. He's on death row, and is trying to donate his heart when he dies. The person he wants to donate his heart to just happens to be his victim's younger sister, who just happens to need a heart transplant.
On the other hand, this is a book about faith, religion (all kinds, I might add - Christianity in all its forms, Judaism, Agnosticism, Atheism), forgiveness, divinity, and humanity.
It's a very unique story, and while I definitely want to see how it turns out, I don't know how I feel about it. It questions not only things that others believe, but it questions what I believe as well. And while I think questions are critical to any faith worth its salt, that doesn't make it easy to ask them or to answer them.
I will say that I don't think things are exactly as they seem. I've read lots of Picoult's books, and they always seem to have a twist at the end. I'm also noticing that there is very little detail being given about the murders themselves, which leads me to wonder if our murderer is as guilty as they say he is.

1 comment:
I'm leaving Ms. Picoult alone for a while. Having recently read two of her novels, I feel the same way - I was over half-way through TENTH CIRCLE and wasn't sure I'd finish it, just because it made me mad every time I picked it up! Which, I guess, is the mark of a good book - one that can stir intense emotion.
Post a Comment