I got this recipe from the Good Eats episode Three Chips for Sister Martha. AB takes the tollhouse cookie recipe from the back of the chip bag and modifies it for a crispy cookie, a chewy cookie, and one other variety that is escaping me right now. But I make the Chewy. I make them a lot. That might have something to do with my largeness. But I digress.
You will need:
2 sticks butter melted and cooled
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 12 oz bag chocolate chips
Wet ingredients:
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk
Dry ingredients:
2 1/4 cups bread flour (yes it matters - use bread flour)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
Combine wet ingredients and set aside.
Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
Mix butter and sugars.
Add wet ingredients and mix well.
Add dry ingredients in thirds and mix well.
Add chips.
Drop on a parchment-lined cookie sheet using an ice-cream scoop or smaller disher. You want something in the neighborhood of a golf ball. Limit six per sheet. Bake at 375 for 14 minutes. Cool for five minutes, then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.
When I generously use the ice cream scoop, I get a dozen really big cookies. You can get almost two dozen out of this recipe if you use a smaller disher.
The mack-daddy is to eat them when they're still warm and make ice cream sammies. Mmm-mmm.
I get requests for these cookies all the time. I have been asked to bring them to staff meetings, and have used them to barter for all manner of favors. They're that good.

1 comment:
Currently making these cookies, although I'm making 'em smaller, more regular cookie sized. First dozen is cooling. Ate one while still very warm. Yummmmm.
Post a Comment