Tuesday, June 17, 2008

All Time Great Reads - The Ones I Forgot

I warned you this would happen. My deepest apologies to the following books - as soon I posted, they started popping into my head, one by one, with that mournful puppy-dog face that says "How could you forget me?" See, I told you this would be a hard post.....

Classics

The Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton - Turn of the century New York City. Fascinating characters (that May sure kept you guessing, didn't she?) And a darned good movie adaptation.

The Forsythe Saga, John Galsworthy - This one might belong in the Modern Fiction category, and possibly the Series category since it's really three books (but no one reads them one at a time - it's a saga, for crying out loud!) I have seen neither the original mini-series or the remake, but the book is fantastic.

Gone With the Wind, Margaret Mitchell - I think we've all heard of this one. If you haven't read it, do so.

Modern Fiction

Ahab's Wife, Sena Jeter Nasland - This one makes the list on concept alone. Melville mentions that Captain Ahab had a wife just once in Moby Dick, and Naslund wraps an entire story around her. And what a story it is.....Una is way more interesting than her whale-obsessed husband.

The Prince of Tides, Pat Conroy - A great southern novel about some not-so-great-but-tragic-all-the-same southerners. I love the scene where Tom meets Sally at USC for the first time....

And Ladies of the Club, Helen Hooven Santmyer - This is a long one, and it chronicles the lives of several women from high school graduation until old age in turn-of-century Ohio. Life was much simpler then, but strangely similar.

The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver - I've mentioned this in a previous post, but not in any great detail. It's the story of a missionary family in the Congo. Beautifully written, and very insightful. Kingsolver tells the story from the perspective of several different family members, each one with a unique voice. There is a scene where their camp is overrun by ants (much like in the Indiana Jones movie) and the mother has to choose between carrying her youngest child, and her child with a disability - the mother can only carry one to safety. The scene is told from the perspective of the child who isn't chosen. Strong stuff.

Children's Books

Where the Red Fern Grows, Wilson Rawls - My sixth grade teacher read this aloud to us every day after lunch. She cried hysterically at the end. Great story.

Badger's Parting Gifts, Susan Vreeland - Interestingly enough, I never read this as a child. Ben brought it home from school in kindergarten, and I fell in love with it. He kept checking it out because he liked watching me cry at the end. Absolutely the best book on dealing with death that I've ever seen for young children. Quite well done.

So there's nine more. Just under the ten that I predicted. I know I will think of others, but I just have to let them go. This is it. This is the list. No more.

3 comments:

Caryn Kirk said...

Your Morndog pal from Seattle here... OK, so when I started reading your blog as a random link through friends' blogs, I had no idea we'd have so much in common! I was an English minor and now an English teacher. Loved Bel Canto (my fellow book club members were not as enamored as I, which made me sad). Adore Tale of Two Cities but have never even picked up Bleak House - will have to put that on THE LIST TO READ. I think my husband and all his friends (ie George and Alan) rank Owen Meany at the top of their lists, which prompted me to read and fall in love with it the first year we were married. So many more books and authors we've got in common, like Amy Tan (you should try Saving Fish from Drowning). And as far as kids' books, I have to note my favorite: From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. A real treasure.

Charlotte said...

I have not read A Tale of Two Cities yet, but will - every year or so, I read another of Dickens's novels - did you know ATOTC is being made into a Broadway musical? It opens in September, I think. I tried Saving Fish from Drowning, but couldn't get into it - bad timing, I guess. And I remember the Frankweiler book by title alone, so I know I read it - did it have something to do with the Metropolitan Museum of Art, or am I confusing it with something else?

Caryn Kirk said...

Yep - two kids run away and hide out in the Met. It was my perfect concept of adventure as a girl. Read it aloud to my 6-year-old last summer and fell in love all over again.

I enjoyed the narrative voice of Saving Fish, and I thought there was an interesting implied metaphor -- are we all on a tour bus through life, or do we carve our own destiny? Lots of subplots that tie into that question. Maybe it'll strike you differently on a different day. It took me three tries to actually get through Pride and P, eventually falling for Darcy hook, line and sinker.

TOTC on stage?!! We're going to NYC for our 10th anniversary in Oct. Will check it out!!