Monday, June 16, 2008

My All-Time Favorite Great Reads

This is a post I have wanted to do since I started blogging. I have found it much harder than I thought it would be. Every time I try to list my top ten books, or the books I would take with me if I got stranded on an island, I get frustrated and have to stop. See, I have read many, many excellent books in my day. And books are a lot like food (another one of my life-loves) - they can be so wonderful, yet so different, it is impossible to choose a favorite. Which is better (to quote the infamous Gene Simmons) - steak, or cheesecake?

So, this is my attempt, futile though it may be, to list my all-time favorite great reads. I have divided them into some semblance of category, although I was kind of loose and fast with that part.

Classics:

Bleak House,
Charles Dickens - One of my greatest regrets in life was that I never took Dr. Skinner's British novel course while I was at PC. He did heartily recommend this book in every other class I had with him, but I never got around to reading it. Until late 2000. I finally tackled it, it tackled me back. Great story, great characters, wonderful love story - I just loved it. And I emailed Dr. Skinner one of those "better-late-then-never" notes to tell him that I finally took his advice. He replied almost immediately that he read my email right before going in to his British novel class to lecture on Bleak House - he said he printed my note and read it aloud. So I guess I got to be part of that class after all.

Wives and Daughters, Elizabeth Gaskell - How I got an English degree and never heard of Elizabeth Gaskell is beyond me, but she was not on my radar. I found this while looking for something long and meaningful to read over the course of a month or so. This one fit the bill. I loved it. I knew going in that Gaskell died before she finished it, and I was really stressing near the end that certain story lines wouldn't get resolved. That's when you know you've got a great novel in your hands - when you can't stand the possibility that you won't know what happens.

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen - I could have gone with Sense and Sensibility - I loved that one as well. But I have to admit, the BBC P&P mini-series capped this one for me. Simply marvelous.

Les Miserables, Victor Hugo - I only read this because I was so into the musical at the time. But what a book. Far better story lines than made it to the stage, but I don't think you can read it without humming all of the songs at one point or another.

Middlemarch, George Eliot - Back to my Dr. Skinner story. In his email response to me, he challenged me to tackle Middlemarch next. Which I did. With haste. And loved it too. Probably the hardest read of any on this list, but well worth the effort.

Villette, Charlotte Bronte - I can't really explain why this book is on the list. But when I read it, I just got attached to it. I loved the main character - a very likable but extremely solitary figure. She made you want to be alone, like it was cool when she did it. Lots of "sneak-up-on-you" twists as well.

Modern Fiction:

Bel Canto, Ann Patchett - I've blogged on this before. Great story, almost poetic.

The Wheel of Fortune, Susan Howatch - I think your first Howatch book is always your favorite. She has a style of storytelling that involves multiple narrators - the first time you read one of her books, you're blown away by how many perspectives she offers on one thing. And how you agree so much with the narrator you're reading at the time, and then hate him or her so much later.

A Prayer for Owen Meany, John Irving - Would you believe me if I told you I had started this book twice before actually getting through it? Laura B. read it after my two failed attempts, and raved about it. I remember sitting in her room in that house she and bunch of other girls lived in slightly off campus, and her telling us about this book like she was describing a religious experience. I was mesmerized. And when she was done, I immediately read the book. The movie was OK, but don't settle for it.

Lonesome Dove, Larry McMurtry - Great story, great characters, great friendship. This is one you could settle for the movie on, but go ahead and read it. Oddly enough, I've hated everything else I've ever read by McMurtry. I secretly believe he didn't write this book.

Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett - Already posted about this one. The follow-up was amazing as well, just not as amazing.

Dancing at the Rascal Fair, Ivan Doig - Like the McMurtry book, this is the only thing by Ivan Doig that I could get through. But what an amazing story, and love story. There is a scene where one of the characters has to tell her husband that the love of his life (not her, obviously) has died. I wish I could write people like Doig does here.

The Stand, Stephen King - This is the first book Mark ever gave me. I read it during the blizzard of 1993. What a storyteller he is. Movies have ruined him - his books are no where near the grotesque/horror stories the movies seem to turn in to. Phenomenal story.

London, Edward Rutherford - Better than Sarum, but just slightly. Great historical novel. Had a character in it named Oh Be Joyful. I kid you not.

Texas, James Michener - I saw an interview with Michener that was shown just after he died. He was asked "What's the best thing about being James Michener?" And he said he loved getting letters from people who read his books, then went to the places he wrote about. Well, I read Texas, and then went to Texas for a summer. 'Nuff said.

The Reader, Bernard Schlink - So it was an Oprah book. Still a darned good story. Reminds you of the power of literature.

The Kitchen God’s Wife, Amy Tan - I expected to hate this book, but man, I was blown away by it. Learning things we never knew about our parents is powerful stuff.

Series:

A Song of Fire and Ice, George R.R. Martin - I started these fantasy books when I thought it was going to be a trilogy. At last count, he's now planning six plus books. Not your typical fantasy novels, Martin does not follow the rules. Don't get attached to the main characters - he'll kill them off in a heartbeat.

Harry Potter, JK Rowling - What can you say? I wish I had the creativity that she has. I'd settle for half of it.

Mitford, Jan Karon - Karon makes you love your neighbors and the people you go to church with. Her books make me hungry, and happy.

Children’s Books:

A Day No Pigs Would Die
, Robert Newton Peck - For whatever reason, I have never forgotten this book. There's a scene where the main character is dressing for his father's funeral, and he's looking at himself in the mirror, and his suit doesn't fit right because it's an old hand-me-down, and he says "God, it's hell to be poor." I have never forgotten that.

The Hundred Dresses, Eleanor Estes - Ben's class read this book last year, so I dug out my copy and re-read it. His teacher told me she wanted to read it because there were some girls in the class that needed to hear it. What a marvelous way to teach a lesson.

Betsy-Tacy, Maud Hart Lovelace - What can I say - I love Betsy. My family friend and sixth-grade librarian recommended these books for me one summer when I was helping her in the library (and I have no idea how that series of events came about, but I digress). I have read them and re-read them ever since. Betsy's turn-of-the-century life is blissfully captivating. I have a link to the Betsy-Tacy Society's web page, if you want to do some independent study.

And there it is. I know as soon as I post it, I'll think of ten more that should be here. But maybe that's another post.

5 comments:

That Neil Guy said...

I had to read The Reader for a reading group a month or two ago and it just left me completely cold and flat, I ended up skimming through it. I don't know why I'm the only person on earth who didn't care for that book. Oh well.

But Owen Meany rocks.

Nicole said...

Hey Charlotte, I love your book list! I may add some of these to my summer reading list. I recently bought a new BBC version of Sense and Sensibility that is almost as good as P&P. If you haven't seen it I'd love to share it when I get back in town! I am well into my vacation reading list and one of my goals was to finish all of Jane Austen's novels. I just finished Persuasion and Mansfield Park. Mandfield was long...
Next and last is Northanger Abby. I think I am going to take a break with something modern first. I just ordered Bleak House and Great Expectations so after Austen I am moving to Dickens and then Holmes. I ordered the complete set of Shelock Holmes...very excited about that! Right now I am reading a romanace novel I found in our vacation condo. Just taking a mental break for a day or two!! I am still in Florida and heading to Savanna for three day on Wednesday. After that I think I may go to Charleston for a few days. I am using up all my reward points earned over the last few years so I guess I will come home once I have run out. I've had a few nibbles on my resume and a job interview in Charlotte on June 23rd. Add me to your prayers cause I can't vacation forever. Eventually I need to decide what I want to be when I grow up. Hope all is well with you. I read your blog everyday! Tell everyone I said hello! Nicole

Anonymous said...

Thanks you for your list! About a year ago I asked your mom for some suggestions - within a few days I had a very nice list in my mailbox. I have read some of her suggestions and enjoyed them. I will print your list as well and head to the library tomorrow! I just finished a Jody Picoult TENTH CIRCLE, but I think I'm done with her for a while. She's a little intense for me right now. It's summer and I'd like something lighter.

George said...

Great List. I recently gave a copy of "A Day No Pigs Would Die" to my pal Alan for his 40th birthday. We had recently recalled how much we enjoyed that book as kids.

I'm shocked that you don't have any Pat Conroy on your list. At least his cookbook should be on there.

Charlotte said...

Remember how I said "I'll think of ten more after I post this"? well, right after I posted it, I thought of The Prince of Tides - how could I leave that one off?