Thursday, August 7, 2008

Ben's First Day of Middle School

Believe it or not, Ben started Middle School today. He was really pretty calm about it. He wanted me to come in with him, to find his hall (they live by the hall, apparently), but when we pulled up, the principal directed me into the traffic flow. I asked where I should park if I was coming in, and she smiled real big and said (as nicely as anyone has ever said this to me) "You can't come in." So I turned to Ben and said "Looks like your on your own."

And he was fine. It was a half-day, so I picked him up at 11:30 and we met Mark for lunch at Fuddies so we could both get the low-down on Ben's first day. He has two friends from elementary school in his homeroom, and one of his best friends is on his hall. One friend from church is on his hall as well, but she's in 7th grade. His homeroom and math teacher is a guy, and apparently really cool. His language arts teacher gave him five "style points" for his Yankee jersey. He also reported that his new school had the top test scores state-wide in three out of four subjects, but he said he would pull their social studies scores up. :)

I think he's going to have a good year. We're excited for him. It's hard to believe he's just entered a world where I will become less cool, and other girls will become much cooler. He'll start talking about dances, and school sports, and lockers, and detention (hopefully, not too much about detention).

Several of my friends knew I was taking him to school today, and asked if I would cry. Funny thing - I don't ever really cry with Ben. Ben is my trailblazer. Whenever he does something, it's a brand new adventure - it's exciting, and kind of scary, but never sad. Daniel, however, is a different story. When he does something, it affects me in a whole different way. It's the LAST time we do this thing. It's like I feel a door closing to a place that I can never go back to.

But for today, doors are opening. Life is good.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

WOW! Congrats, Ben! I know you will rule the school before long! And congrats to C&M for being such awesome parents!

Kelly said...

Isn't it ironic that the goal of parenting is to raise dependent children into independent adults, but when those milestones come, we really don't want them to pass. At least not for our youngest!