OK, so my reading has been few and far between since about Thanksgiving. But I did start The Shack a week or so back. I have been starting and stopping, both because this is a really busy time of year, but also because the subject matter (at least at the very beginning) was not exactly something one wants to dwell on right before Christmas. Or, any time. In short, the main character is in a very distant relationship with God after the unspeakably horrible loss of his daughter. Years later, he receives a letter in the mail to come for a visit to the shack. The shack is the place where his daughter's clothing (no body has been found at this point in my reading) was found. At the shack, he has a very unorthodox visit with God, in all three persons.
This is as far as I've gotten. He has had talks with God, and with Jesus, and is about to talk with the Holy Spirit in the garden. I'm not sure how I feel about the story at this point (I think this is one that has to be read in its entirety before you decide whether or not it was good), but I am very intrigued by one thing that has been said. God appears as a older black woman. Not at all the way any of us picture God, I'm sure. And when questioned about his/her appearance, God says (and forgive the paraphrasing) "If I appeared to you looking like Gandalf, in a long white robe and a white beard, then I would simply reinforce all the things you think are true about me. And this is not about that. This is about you finding out who I really am."
There is a lot of buzz around this book. People either love it or hate it. I'm beginning to see why. I'm looking forward to deciding which camp I fall into.

4 comments:
I felt the same while reading it, but ended up loving it. Let us know the final verdict when you're done.
Same spot for me. Tough in beginning, then winding down writing-wise - so I got the audio on itunes and listened to the rest. It's not the best book ever, but that unorthodox meeting with God can stretch the bejeebers out of you. If you have any bejeebers. Not saying that you do.
I think there's a third camp: when you don't really like the book all that much (particularly for its weak literary merits) but you really appreciate some of the new perspectives it offers. And it's highly quotable. Good for the bejeebers. (Thanks Rick. I am now adding that word to my regular vocabulary)
There is a forth camp: When you have not read the book at all and take everyone's word that it will stretch your bejeebers beyond recognition. I have always been a great fan of Shaquille O'Neal and can't wait to read his autobiography, on your recommendations.
Post a Comment