Saturday, May 2, 2009

Farmer's Market Finds


I have been waiting patiently for our local farmer's market to open, and today was the day! I had not been before, but since reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle last year, I've learned a lot about the local food movement, and have wanted to start supporting local growers (and eating locally grown food!)

We have several farmer's markets in our general area, but I checked out the one in downtown Johnson City this morning - Daniel had soccer games at 9:00 and at 11:00, so it was something easy to do between games.

There were about ten stalls - and lots of good stuff. I didn't need a lot of produce, but I now know where to get onions, tomatoes, and zucchini - they all looked awesome! I did need corn and sweet potatoes, and they had the most awesome looking garlic I've ever seen. I also picked up a loaf of wheatberry bread and a jar of strawberry-rhubarb jam. (I had some of both for lunch - delish!)

All in all, a solid first trip. I'd like to check out the markets in Bristol and Abingdon as well. The owners of my favorite restaurant, The Troutdale Dining Room, have opened a bistro which buys from the Abingdon market almost exclusively.

Farmer's markets are opening all over the place this month - go check one out in your area. The food is better, and cheaper, and greener (in more ways than one). Eat local!

(In other local food news, my herb garden is dead. Next time, I think I'll try to start one from container plants instead of growing from seeds.)

No comments: