Saturday, July 26, 2008

Saturday Morning on the Appalachian Trail

Daniel's Cub Scout Pack went hiking on Roan Mountain this morning, so all four of us decided to tag along. It was cool and overcast, which was nice for the walking, but the cloud cover made it impossible to see any views of the mountains. Oh well - I got some good pictures anyway.





Angora goats. It's a long story.


We think we went all the way to Grassy Ridge Bald. I got pretty winded on some of the steeper inclines, but overall, we did OK. Good times.

5 comments:

Kyle said...

I'd like to do that one day.
How long did it take?
Was it crowded?

Charlotte said...

We got there and started hiking about 10:15 - I'd say it took about two hours, but that's just a guess. We saw a handful of campers on the way out, but we didn't see any other hikers till the trip back - then we saw tons of people - a big group of college students, followed by a big group of really old people (they made me look bad). So I would advise starting early if you want to avoid the rush. But definitely do it - it was pretty cool.

George said...

Nice. How far was it? Several miles or more, I'd presume.

Charlotte said...

According to the cubmaster, it was 3 miles - 1.5 out and 1.5 back. Mark and I both thought it was longer than that, and since you asked, I did a little research. Based on where I think we stopped, I figure we hiked closer to 2 - 2.5miles out and back. But I'm still not going to argue with the cubmaster.

George said...

Tell us the goat story, please. Otherwise, I will not get to sleep tonight.