Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Well, Thanksgiving 2008 has come and gone. I am happy to say that I hosted the big meal this year! If you told me two years ago that I would be cooking Thanksgiving dinner for ten people, I would have laughed in your face. And then passed out cold. Let's face it - in the world of food preparation, Thanksgiving is a big as it gets. It's the Show. The Big Dance. The biggest meal of the year. But I did it. I DID IT!!!

We had Mark's parents over, and his brother Scott's family. Mark's mom brought a Pratt's ham and her world famous deviled eggs. These eggs will ruin you on any other deviled eggs. Seriously. It must be something she does during the "deviling" phase. They are spectacular.

I roasted a turkey and made cornbread stuffing, maple sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, my mom's cranberry apple crisp, spinach and hazelnut salad, zucchini and onions, gravy, cranberry dipping sauce, and rolls. The stuffing was a little rubbery, but otherwise, everything turned out pretty well. No one got sick at least.

For dessert, Mark made an awesome pecan pie, and I made a pumpkin spice bundt cake. Lisa brought a rockin' pumpkin cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory.

My nephew brought his saxophone, and all the boys serenaded us with their instruments for the post-meal entertainment. We are now fighting the sleepies and watching the Cowboys game.

All in all, it was good times. I'm glad I stepped up. It feels like I have crossed a culinary threshold of sorts. And now I think I'll have some more pie.

Oh, and I didn't get any pictures. Sorry. I was a little preoccupied.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Sounds like you guys had a wonderful holiday together - congrats on your huge achievement! You deserve to be proud.