Sunday, October 19, 2008

What I'm Reading Now

Islands, by Anne Rivers Siddons.

Siddons used to be one of my favorite authors. Colony, Peachtree Road, and The Outerbanks were fantastic books. I would read her books as soon as they hit the shelf. But after a while, she started to get a little "samey" - woman is trapped in a middle-aged rut, woman is taken out of her comfort zone, woman has extreme extra-marital affair, woman returns liberated and affirmed. (Sorry, I just don't see the extra-marital affair as the true road to wellville.) So I took a break, and haven't read one of her books in ages.

But this was on the sale rack, and I decided to give it a try. And I'm liking it. In fact, I did little else but read all afternoon, so I guess that's an endorsement of some kind. Mark and Ben went on a hike with the Scout Troop, and Daniel and I stayed in and read (he finished the second Harry Potter book and started the third.)

Islands is more for the sixty-something set, but I'm enjoying the Charleston/Sullivan's Island/Edisto Island setting. And I've got a hankering for seafood something awful.

I finished Becky - it was really good at times, really ho-hum at times. Becky was your classic, headstrong, southern heroine. She was borderline unlikeable, as she was in Tom Sawyer, and frankly, a bit of a tramp.

No comments: