Becky: The Life and Loves of Becky Thatcher, by Lenore Hart.I love a book with a really creative concept. In this one, Becky Thatcher of Tom Sawyer fame is all grown up and telling her story. She is married to Tom's cousin Sid and they have two sons before he leaves to fight in the Civil War. She flashes back to her childhood a lot - running around with Tom and Huck and "little Sammy Clemens". ("Little Sammy Clemens" grew up and wrote a really famous book about all of them, but he didn't remember things quite the same way Becky did, apparently.)
I'm liking it so far. My only frustration is that I don't remember Tom Sawyer all that well, and I'm struggling to remember which parts actually happened in that book, and which parts this author is making up. But the later story - Becky on her own during the Civil War - is quite good. Huck Finn has made numerous appearances, as has Jim and old Judge Thatcher. We don't know what became of Tom yet, but he gets mentioned a lot, so I'm expecting him to show up any page now.

1 comment:
That sounds really interesting! I love this trend of re-telling old stories from different perspectives. So deliciously postmodern. Will put it on the LONG to-read list.
Post a Comment