Tuesday, December 23, 2008

More Christmas Cookies

So, there are these cookies my Mom gets from Freeman's Bakery in Florence. If you described them to me, I would say "no, thanks." They just don't sound that great on paper. But they are AWESOME. The elves at Freeman's roll out strips of something kin to gingerbread dough filled with fruit cake fruits, bake them, and them cut them into short strips. They rock.

And while I don't have a good gingerbread recipe, I do have a good cookie recipe: the world's best chocolate chip cookies. And I thought, why not use the base of these cookies to make something similar to those Freeman's gems? After all, I have used the base cookie dough for white chocolate and macadamia nut cookies, and they turned out fab.

So I made the world's best chocolate chip cookie dough. Only I didn't add any chips. Instead, I added a half a cup of chopped walnuts, and a cup and a half of fruit cake fruits (I don't know what else to call them.) I also added a half a teaspoon cinnamon, a quarter teaspoon cardamom, and some freshly grated nutmeg.

Daniel has refused to try them (he is very loyal to his chips), but Mark and Ben gave them an enthusiastic thumbs up. I liked them as well. We have deemed them "Santa-Worthy." I love it when a plan comes together.

And by the way, if you ever go to Florence, go to Freeman's Bakery. Even if you don't buy any cookies, it's worth it just to go in and smell the place.

1 comment:

That Neil Guy said...

I usewd cake flour for my toll house cookies the other day and I have to say, meh. I don't care for them as much as when I make 'em with regular flour. I guess next I need to buy some bread flour and try doing it that way, per your collaboration with AB.