
Mark got me a great book for Christmas. Southern Belly (John T. Edge) is "the ultimate food lover's companion to the south." Originally published in 2000, it has been revised and re-released in paperback. It's not a restaurant guide by any means; rather, it's a collection of writings about those places that aren't on the map, but you love to direct visitors and new neighbors to in your home town. Hole-in-the-wall kinds of places that, for whatever reason, have the best food on the planet, even if you feel like you need a shower when you leave.
Some items featured in the book that I recognized from personal experience: Duke's Mayonnaise, Cromer's P-nuts, The Varsity, The Beacon, Jestine's Kitchen, Maurice Bessinger's Piggie Park, and Blenheim Ginger Ale.
Why no haunts from my particular neck of the woods, you ask? As soon as I opened the book, I immediately went to the Tennessee Chapter, looking for the East Tennessee offerings. Where was the Ridgewood Bar-B-Que? The Pal's? The place in Elizabethton who's name always escapes me? Not there. Not a one. You know what was the one and only attraction listed for Johnson City, Tennessee? Dr. Enuf. What the ??? I was bitterly disappointed. Some Bean Barn place in Greeneville got notice, but who wants to drive to Greeneville?
It did remind me of a funny story, though. My brother and his buddy-in-law Kyle came up a few years back to retrieve a couch. Kyle was excited because while here, he and Paul were going to eat lunch at this place he was really excited about. "And where is that?" I asked, expecting to hear Ridgewood, Pardner's, Pals, or the like. "Krystal." What the ???
Ironically, while none of the places in Tennessee I would pick for a book on the southern belly of the food world made it in, do you know what did? Krystal. What the ???

2 comments:
Krystal tastes good.
Sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie but I wouldn't know because I wouldn't eat the filthy thing.
Post a Comment