Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sweet Success

I tried the creme brulee again last night, this time from scratch. I used a Barefoot Contessa Recipe, and it ROCKED! It turned out really good. The custard could have been smoother, but it tasted fantastic. And I even got the sugar right. It wasn't all that hard.

3 cups heavy cream - scalded
1 egg
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla (I used a little extra, because the recipe called for liqueur, which I didn't have)

Mix the eggs and sugar until combined. Slowly pour in the scalded cream. Add vanilla. Pour into ramekins. Bake in a water bath at 300 for 35-40 minutes until tops are just set. Cool to room temp, then refrigerate until completely chilled. Just before serving, cover the top of each serving with a thin layer of sugar. Hit it with a blow torch, or put it under the broiler until the sugar is brown and caramelized. Let sit for a few minutes until the sugar hardens. Consume.

I wish I had taken pictures.

No comments: