Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Just How Stupid Are We?



Ok, so I bought this gift card (one of you will be learning more about this card in the coming days). Anyway, as I'm preparing this card for mailing, I notice the following instructions printed on the paper backing:

Remove tab and fold in thirds.

Tuck tab into slot to close.

Personalize and present gift.

Present gift? Is this a truly necessary part of the instructions? I only ask because I know that all safety warnings come from someone actually doing the foolish thing in question (yes, someone apparently used a hair dryer in the bath tub, and yes, someone apparently strapped their baby into an exer-saucer and sent him sailing down a snowy embankment). So I have to assume that somewhere out there, some guy returned a gift card to the store saying "This is a piece of crap! It doesn't work! It just sits there on my dresser and my friend is still not happy!"

Are we truly that stupid? Are we moving to a point where we have to spell everything out for everyone? Do grocery store cashiers need to start telling shoppers "You know, you're gonna want to consume those tomatoes eventually." Where do we draw the line?

So what say you? What evidence of the growing stupidity of man have you seen lately?

2 comments:

Ferdlings said...

"I see stupid people. Some of them scare me. Walking around like regular people. They can't see each other.
Some of them don't know they're stupid."

"How often do you see them?"

"All the time. They're everywhere."

George said...

A friend from Greenville was recently telling me about some stupid guy he saw in the grocery store who was talking to himself. Then he took a picture of himself, yelled "ferds", and stared at some lady's boobs. Crazy world, huh?