Run, by Ann Patchett. I've only just started this one, so I can't say for sure how good it is. But I'm excited about it because Ann Patchett wrote Bel Canto, which is one of the best books I have ever read. Ever.I've found that some books are good because they tell really good, really unusual stories. And some books are good because they tell very normal, everyday kinds of stories in a beautiful way. Bel Canto did both.
It's the story of a party held at the South American Vice President's house. He brings in an international opera star, and multiple foreign dignitaries, to celebrate the birthday of a famed Japanese businessman. All things are going as planned, when a group of terrorists break in and take everyone hostage. Only they aren't terrorists in the modern sense; they are actually a rather humanitarian group whose goal is the release of a comrade who is imprisoned by the government.
All of these people are locked up in this house together for something like forty or fifty days. Wonderful things begin to happen - that's all I'll say. Bel Canto is some of the most lyrical prose I've ever read. Read it if you haven't. It's a rare treat.
I have also read Patchett's The Magician's Assistant - not as good, but definitely in a similar style. I really like her stuff. Let's hope Run lives up.

No comments:
Post a Comment