Thursday, February 7, 2008

What I'm Reading Now

Body Surfing, by Anita Shreve. She's one of my favorites. The Pilot's Wife and Fortune's Rocks were great books. She's had a couple of duds as well, but this one is good so far. She sometimes tries the unconventional - Body Surfing is written in a series of short, almost understated, paragraphs, and it gives the feeling that you're not quite getting everything. In a previous book, she told the story of a romance in reverse order. I didn't care for it, until the very end, when I got it, and it all made sense. ("Ohhhhhh.")

The one thing she does that I really, really like is she sets many of her books in the same house. Fortune's Rocks, Sea Glass (if I recall correctly), The Pilot's Wife, and this one are all set in the same house on the coast of New Hampshire (Or is it Massachusetts? Somewhere up there). They make mention of the people who lived there before them, but they don't know anything about them beyond the basics. (But we do!) After the first two books, I realized she was making the house a character almost - a really interesting element in her stories. Good stuff.

No comments: