Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Infamous Snow Weekend

In a comment on Movie Quotes 2 posted by ferdlings, he references "our infamous snow weekend." I have thought of blogging on that weekend before, and his comment has inspired me.

Many years back - Mark and I were married, but no kids, and Paul had not yet moved back to SC, so I'm going to guess it was 1995 or 1996 - Paul came to stay for a weekend. This was before all this global warming mumbo-jumbo and we really did have bad winters here.

I want to say he came up on a Saturday, because if he came on Friday night, I don't remember what we did. But on Saturday we went to see some movie (Ransom? Apollo 13?) and then had dinner at Ruby Tuesday's. When we came out of the restaurant, there was a good amount of snow on the ground. We figured we might get snowed in, and rented some movies on the way home (or maybe we rented them Friday night - I'm forgetting some of the details.)

Anyway, we rented Aliens and Pulp Fiction, and two other movies whose names escape me for reasons that will be explained later. We watch Aliens. Mark keeps harping about what a funny movie it was, and I'm thinking "I don't remember it being funny". But with the right people, that movie is a scream. "Game over man, game over!" "Well why don't you just put her in charge?" "They mostly come at night. Mostly." We rolled.

And then we put in Pulp Fiction. The VCR made a weird grinding sound. Pulp Fiction would not play, nor did it ever come back out of our VCR. Game over man. Game over.

By Sunday morning, there was two or three feet of snow on the ground. Paul and I walked around the yard, and I remember taking a bad step and getting in snow up to my hip. It really SNOWED. Of course, we had nothing to do, since we didn't have cable, and the VCR was tied up not playing Pulp Fiction. We mostly just looked out the window and commented on how much freakin' snow there was. Mostly.

By Sunday night, Paul's getting worried that he can't get home, and Mark is trying to figure out if we should go to work the next day. So the two of them bundle up like Inuits and say they're going out to see how the main road looks. They seriously spent like twenty minutes putting on layers and scarves and hats just in case they "got stuck somewhere and had to walk back". They backed about two feet down the driveway before Mark veered right and stuck them in our yard. At least they were dressed for the walk back.

We got the in-laws to come get us on Monday for work in the family 4X4. Paul drove home in his Ford Taurus. It took him about ten hours. I was sure he was dead. Mark kept saying "Don't worry. He couldn't get up enough speed to get in a serious accident - worse case he's freezing by the side of the road somewhere." I finally got him on the phone about 10:00 - he had left the heat off and was holed up in a hallway in his apartment reading EW and trying to get warm.

Ah yes. The Infamous Snow Weekend. Remembered much more fondly than the Charlie Peacock fiasco, but that's a blog for another day.

I did finally see Pulp Fiction years later. What a disappointment. What a terrible movie to lose a VCR too. What a bad career choice for Ving Rhames.

5 comments:

Ferdlings said...

That's hilarious. Great description. I think you got everything right except I wonder, was that the weekend we watched "The Usual Suspects"? (twice, of course, because you have to watch it at least twice) Didn't we three just play Monopoly and stare at each other for days? (after my laundry was done, of course)

Ferdlings said...

I remember that everything I owned that was for winter was in my suitcase that was in my trunk for the trip. So I finally get home to no heat and all my clothes had been held at 20 degrees all day. Good times. I also want to say that Nicole Kidman was on the cover of that Entertainment Weekly mag so Batman Forever must have been coming out.

Charlotte said...

The Usual Suspects had to be another weekend, because the only movie we watched was Aliens - I do remember that. Thanks to PF. It could have been the weekend we made you go to Radio Shack and splice our cable after Craig yanked it out of the ground with his tractor, or it could have been the weekend we sat around and played Quake non-stop, or possibly the weekend we made you mix up all that mortar. Good times all.

Anonymous said...

Please explain regarding Charlie Peacock fiasco. I am intrigued!

Charlie Peacock

Jennifer said...

man, after reading the descriptions of the possible weekends when you could have watched the usual suspects, i'm wondering why paul still visits you guys.