We begin with Iron Man. I am a big fan of the Marvel Universe, but Iron Man has never been one of my favorites. But I really liked this movie! I know the first movie for a new character is usually slow, what being tied to the back story and all that, but this one was action-packed. Maybe because I didn't know the storyline very well, I was more into it.Robert Downey, Jr. was an awesome Tony Stark. He was just likeable enough to play an unlikeable character and make you like him. The special effects were great - the final version of the Iron Man suit (red and gold) was wicked cool.
If you're considering taking the kiddies, there was the obligatory violence, but nothing over the top. Also, a couple of racy scenes, but they don't last long. The big thing with this one is whether or not the younger crowd will follow the storyline. DP loved the movie, but was totally lost for the first half. Ben really loved it - he's since been reading all the Iron Man comics he can find - and I think he followed it pretty well. Not for the younger kiddies, but the older ones should be fine.
Overall, a strong showing. Two enthusiastic thumb's up.
Next up, Prince Caspian. We all loved the first one, and it was so loyal to the book. I couldn't remember enough about the book in this one to know if it followed the story as well.This one was definitely darker, and had lots more fighting. That was a big plus for DP - he lives for battle scenes - but more of a detractor for me. There wasn't as much "magical" stuff in this one, but I did like it. Standing on its own, not being compared to its predecessor, it was a good movie.
It had a good message, too. One line has really stuck with me: they were discussing why Aslan had not come back to save the day, and one of them says "Why doesn't Aslan prove himself to us?" And Lucy says "Maybe we should be proving ourselves to Aslan." Maybe we should.
Since this one is technically for the kiddies, I'm guessing most of you will be taking the kiddies. Two words of caution for the younger kiddies: one, very hard to follow, and two, there's one scene where they are trying to conjure the white witch, and these two wicked creepy things show up. Might be a little unsettling. I was unsettled, and I'm 37.
Overall, a good flick. I think the franchise will continue.
And finally, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I think the working title was Grandpa Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. All kidding aside, I was surprised to find that an old Indy worked well. But it really did. Harrison Ford was still great in the role.
This one had all the same plot devices as its predecessors. Same basic story as well. Indy gets dragged into an adventure involving some ancient thing that we've all heard of, but don't really know much about. Could be historical, could be bunk, who knows, but it works. The effects were good, but not over the top. It had the same look and feel as the others. There was also the obligatory "large amount of something gross" - in the others, it was snakes, insects, rats, and now.....I'll let you watch.
This one would be fine for the kiddies, I thought. Some bad words peppered in here and there, but nothing over the top in the violence department. One kind of disturbing part involving the "large amount of something gross", but it's brief. Both my kids LOVED this one.
Definitely a winner.
To sum up, I am thus far enjoying Movie Summer 2008. Ranking these three in relation to each other, I would have to go with Iron Man first, then Dr. Jones, and finally Prince Caspian. But you can't go wrong with any of them. Fine summertime fun.

1 comment:
Charlotte. I trust your opinions when trying to find a movie for me, Leslie and the girls. Thanks for the recommendations!
Post a Comment