Pigs in Heaven, by Barbara Kingsolver.I've previously blogged about Barbara Kingsolver and what a fan I am of some of her books. This is one that I found in the bag of books from my church friend - what a pleasant surprise! This is one of her early books - I've only just started it, so I have nothing to report yet. Someone just fell into a dam - that's all I know.
I finished Wish You Well. I liked it. I didn't love it. I have the distinct impression that if he weren't David Baldacci, he'd still be trying to get this one published. It was a good story, and definitely a good look at mountain people and mountain life in this area. But it was a little choppy. Forced might be a better word. But I'm glad I read it.
He did get one great dig in near the end - his main character's father was a critically acclaimed novelist who never made any money from his books. At the end, we see a snapshot of the characters later in life, and the main character has become a novelist herself. He says she wrote happy stories about the good things in life. "They were never as well-received by the critics as her father's books were, but they sold a lot more copies." Baldacci may not be the world's greatest novelist, but he's not hurting for cash. You go, Dave.

No comments:
Post a Comment